Sunday, August 2, 2009

Food Network Challenge

I have been wanting to try using fondant on a cake since Kate's birthday last year, but I've heard it tastes terrible. I recently found a recipe that claimed to taste much better than store bought so I decided to give it a whirl! It was super fun/messy to make and I was actually quite pleased with the end result. It was like playdough for adults! My cake didn't turn out super cute, but with a little more time and patience, I think it could turn out halfway decent.



Jason has been wanting to try carving a cake like they do on the food network challenge's so we had our own challenge. I am going to be making a dumbo cake for Kate's birthday this year, so we went with that theme. I didn't want to go up against him in the challenge, because I knew I would lose, so we just made one together. Dumbo? Not quite, but at least you can tell it's an elephant right?



In the end, I've decided...fondant is fun, I love the smooth look it gives, is definitely something I will do again, but still...even homemade...will never even come close to being as yummy as frosting!

9 comments:

Fife Family Forever said...

is that the fondant made with marshmallows? I am making a cake for a baby shower and it will be my first attempt with Marshmallow fondant.
PS it looks way cute.

Josh and Tiff said...

wow!! that's awesome! i would have no idea how to do that. good job you guys and that's an amazing elephant!

Becca said...

those look great!!!Is your recipe a marshmallow fondant? I hear that one tastes great!!!!

Becca said...

I love the elephant!

Diane said...

Happy Birthday Kate. Sorry that I missed it. It looks like she really enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as Jason.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Kate! I think it toootally looks like Dumbo! so, so cute.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

that looks so cute- both of them! I have wanted to try fondant too, but you know me, not really a baker!

Morph This said...

love the cake! i have totally been into the fondant thing right now too! the marshmallow one.. fun right? anyway. congrats to kate and her second!